Thursday, January 20, 2011

jigsaw obsession and dirty aprons




I’m obsessed. It’s not totally my fault, though. My boyfriend is the one who pulled out the puzzle. Now I am hooked. It’s difficult for me to walk into the room and not want to sit in front of the half-complete, 1000 pieces of my current jigsaw puzzle.


Maybe I just have an obsessive personality. (Don’t answer that.) Maybe not, though. I obsess over certain little things, like my cuticles, where to put the comma, and yoga. However, the big things, like my career (“Where do you want to be in five years.” I hate that question), buying a house, or raising a family, not so much.


But the jigsaw puzzle. My mind won’t be at peace until the last piece is fitted snuggly into its cozy spot.* Why is that? There are other types of puzzles that stimulate your mind. Crossword puzzles. Sudoku. They’re good for you. Many believe that elderly who play crossword puzzles extend their lives, and according to one study at least, they cut the risk of developing Alzheimer's nearly in half**. (Yet another study out ofthe University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill says that there is no strong evidence that such activities actually prevent the disease.)


Either way, in my mind, the jigsaw puzzle is a subordinate form of puzzle than the crossword or sudoko, even. It's just not an intellectually stimulating activity.


So why obsess? Maybe because in its own way, the jigsaw puzzle, sort of, organises*** chaos. The thousand little pieces, at first, have no connection. Looking at them dumped onto the table, they are all different colors - some bland ones cardboard side up - and it can be overwhelming (it does me, anyway). But eventually it will all come together, piece by piece (of course, I start with the edge). And slowly, part by part, the picture as a whole comes clear.


I wouldn't want to equate that process with the process of life, and the chaos one seemingly endures from time to time -- that would be too obvious, wouldn't it? Yes, of course. Let's just say I enjoy the old-fashioned pastime for the sake of passing time, no point needed.

Which reminds me of the reason behind Kitch (sic). Just as the jigsaw puzzle is a bit old-fashioned, so too might be the subject matter herein (assuming I make it past the first post; I’ve written and deleted and procrastinated out of fear – why would anyone want to read my trite synaptic misfires?). I disclaim now that there might be a hard to follow theme (eclectic, some might say; kitchy to others; kitschy, yet, to others). That said, I can almost guarantee my next post will have nothing to do whatsoever with puzzles, or mental health, or organising one's dirty aprons in life. But, admittedly, it might have something to do with all the little obsessions in my life****. Consider yourself forewarned. And now, maybe consider taking on your own jigsaw, seeing as the weather is right for it and all.


* Just how at the end of the day, my mind isn’t at peace until I’m fitted snuggly into my cozy spot.


** Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/004403.html#ixzz1BJeSDVSb


*** Still confused and coming to terms with the proper use of "s" and"z" -- I blame Noah Webster for that. Yes, he is the one to blame.

**** Revision: There is one big thing I do find myself obsessing over, with a smile, of which I might write about at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I will have to buy my OWN puzzle tomorrow:) The largest one in our house only consists of only 25 pieces :)

    ReplyDelete